This is my online resume
and personal web presence.
The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in these pages belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the author’s employer, organization, committee or other group or individual.
My name is Michele GIUGLIANO and I am Principal Investigator at the International School of Advanced Studies (SISSA) of Trieste, Italy. Download here my full CV, which includes a list of publications. Continue reading a brief biographical sketch below, scroll down or jump to one of the sections of my resume by clicking on the navigation bar on your left.
I was born in Genova (Italy) in 1974, I received my scientific high-school diploma in 1992, and I graduated in Electronic Engineering in 1997 at the Univ. of Genova (Italy), specializing in Biomedical Engineering. In 2001, after I received a PhD in Bioengineering, with a thesis in Computational Neuroscience by the Polytechnic of Milan (Italy), I decided to move abroad to continue my academic training.
In the same year, I received an award from the Human Frontiers Science Program Organization to pursue postdoctoral training in experimental Electrophysiology and Neurobiology at the Inst. of Physiology of the Univ. of Bern (Switzerland), where I had the opportunity to work with Prof. Hans-Rudolf Luescher and Prof. Stefano Fusi. In 2005, I moved to the Brain Mind Institute at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology of Lausanne where I joined the experimental lab of Prof. Henry Markram as junior group leader.
Three years later, in 2008, I was appointed faculty member at the University of Antwerp (Belgium), taking over the Theoretical Neurobiology lab as a successor of Prof. Erik De Schutter, to extend its scope to interdisciplinary research in experimental Neuroscience and Neuroengineering. During the period 2013-2015, I was visiting scientist at the Neuroelectronics Flanders Institute at IMEC, Leuven (Belgium). Over the years, I retained visiting appointments at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Sheffield (UK) and at the Brain Mind Institute of the EPFL (Switzerland). In 2012, I received my tenure and later, in 2016, I was promoted to full professor.
From 2008 until 2019, I have directed the Laboratory for Theoretical Neurobiology and Neuroengineering, founding in 2017 a new research unit on Molecular, Cellular, and Network Excitability research.
Since 2019, I moved to the International School of Advanced Studies (SISSA) of Trieste, where I started the Neuronal Dynamics Laboratory.
As a Neuroscientist and Bioengineer, with extensive cross disciplinary experience, I contribute to the understanding, repairing, replacing, and enhancing of the electrical properties of neural systems. I am particularly interested in the biophysics and electrophysiology of nerve cells as well as of networks, which compose the mammalian cortex. Besides fundamental investigations, aimed at clarifying the most appropriate levels of description of the complex operations of cells and microcircuit, I am also interested in the interfacing of living neural tissue and artificial systems and exploring the use of nanotechnologies in advancing brain research. My team and I also develop and apply novel theoretical approaches, computer simulation techniques, and biological experiments to understand the brain.
Pampaloni NP, Lottner M, Giugliano M, Matruglio A, D’Amico F, Prato M, Garrido JA, Ballerini L, Scaini D (2017) Single-layer graphene modulates neuronal communication and membrane ion channels expression via its cation−π interactions, Nature Nanotechnology, 13:755–64.
Linaro D, Biró I, Giugliano M (2018) Dynamical response properties of neocortical neurons to conductance-driven time-varying inputs, European Journal of Neuroscience 47(1):17–32
Pulizzi R, Musumeci G, Van den Haute C, Van De Vijver S, Baekelandt V, Giugliano M (2016) Brief wide-field photostimuli evoke and modulate oscillatory reverberating activity in cortical networks, Scientific Reports vol. 6:24701
Peelaerts W, Bousset L, Van der Perren A, Moskalyuk A, Pulizzi R, Giugliano M, Van den Haute C, Melki R, Baekelandt V. (2015) α-Synuclein strains cause distinct synucleinopathies after local and systemic administration. Nature 522(7556):340-4
Couto, J., Linaro, D., De Schutter, E., Giugliano, M. (2015) On the Firing Rate Dependency of the Phase Response Curve of Rat Purkinje Neurons In Vitro. PLoS Comp Biology 11(3):e1004112
Testa-Silva, G., Verhoog, M.B., de Kock, C.P.J., Baayen, J.C., Meredith, R.M., Giugliano, M., Mansvelder, H.D. (2014) High bandwidth synaptic communication and frequency tracking in human neocortex. PLoS Biology 12(11):e1002007
Linaro, D., Storace, M., Giugliano, M. (2011) Accurate and fast simulation of channel noise in conductance-based model neurons by diffusion approximation PLoS Computational Biology 7(3):e1001102
Education and Degrees
- 2017-23 Italian Academic Habilitation, “1 Fascia” (Full Prof.): Bioengineering (09/G2)
- 2017-23 Italian Academic Habilitation, “2 Fascia” (Assoc. Prof.): Bioengineering (09/G2)
2017-23 Italian Academic Habilitation, “2 Fascia” (Assoc. Prof.): Physiology (05/D1)
- 2001 Polytechnic of Milan, (I): PhD in Bioengineering
- 1998 Univ. of Genova, (I): Habilitation as Chartered Engineer (score 110/110)
- 1997 Univ. of Genova, (I): Electronic Engineering Laurea, MEng eq., 110/110 cum laude
- 1992 Liceo M. Champagnat, Genova: Diploma di Maturità Scientifica (score: 57/60)
2019 - Principal Investigator, SISSA (Italy)
- 2016 - 2019 Research-mandate Hoogleraar (Full Professor), Dept. Biomed. Sci., Univ. Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2008 - 2019 Head of the Theoretical Neurobiology and Neuroengineering lab, Univ. Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2018 Visiting Professor, SISSA (Italy)
Past Research Experience
- 2018 4-month collaboration of excellence invited Professor at SISSA, Trieste (I)
- 2008 – 2018 External collaborator at the Brain Mind Institute, EPFL, Lausanne (Switzerland)
- 2010 – 2018 Visiting academic at the Dept. of Computer Science, University of Sheffield (UK)
- 2016 4-month scientific visit in a SME (QWANE Biosciences, Switzerland)
- 2013 – 2016 Visiting Scientist at NERF (Flanders Neuroelectronic Institute)
- 2013 – 2016 Scientific Coordinator, EC-FP7 FET-OPEN Project BRAINLEAP
2011 – 2015 Scientific Coordinator, EC-FP7 Marie-Curie Initial Training Network NAMASEN
- 2013 – 2015 Research-mandate Hoofddocent (Associate Prof.), Dept. Biomed. Sci., U. Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2011 - Tenured appointment, Univ. Antwerp (Belgium)
2008 – 2010 Tenure-track research-mand. Docent (Assist. Prof.); Dept. Biomed. Sci., U. Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2005 – 2008 Junior group leader (with H. Markram), Brain Mind Institute, EPFL (Switzerland)
2001 – 2005 HFSPO postdoc (with HR. Lüscher), Inst. of Physiology, Univ. of Bern (Switzerland)
- 1999 Visiting PhD student (with G. Le Masson), Inst. de Neurosci. F. Magendie, Bordeaux (F)
- 1999 Visiting PhD student (with A. Nistri and E. Cherubini), Biophysics Sector, SISSA, Trieste (Italy).
- 1997 – 1998 Visiting PhD student (with R.J. Douglas and K. Martin), Institute of Neuroinf., ETH, Zürich
- 1997 – 2001 PhD student (with M. Grattarola), Dept. Biophys. & Electr. Engineering, Univ. of Genova (Italy)
- 1995 – 1996 Undergraduate student (with I. Martin), Advanced Biotechnology Center, Genova (Italy)
Honors and awards
- 2009 Ghent, Belgium: Best poster Award, sponsored by Cochlear
- 2008 Univ. La Sapienza, Rome, Italy: Science Award to Young Investigators
- 2003 Swiss Physiological Society, Asher-Hess Young Investigator Award (2nd prize)
- 2001 – 2004 Human Frontier Science Program, France, Long-term Fellowship
- 1997 Dignity of Publication and Highest Honors for MEng Thesis
- 2004 Italian Society for Neurosci., Travel grant for attending the FENS Congress
- 1997 – 1999 Univ. of Genova, Travel grants for PhD training activities
- 1998 Polytechnic of Milan, Grad School admission natl. exam, 1st rank (score: 114/120)
- 1997 Univ. of Genova (I), Grad School admission natl. exam, 1st rank (score:114/120)
- 2018 Department of Computer Science, University of Nottingham (UK)
- 2018 University of Verona (Italy)
- 2018 OCNC: OIST Computational Neuroscience Course, OIST, Okinawa (Japan)
- 2018 ICM Institut du Cerveau et de la Moelle épinière, Paris (F)
- 2018 “Neurotechnologies and computational methods” school, Univ. Genova (I)
- 2018 I3S Instituto de Investigação e Inovação em Saúde, Porto (Portugal)
- 2018 Lecture on “Physics of the Brain”, University of Ghent (Be)
- 2018 Research Club, UZA, University Hospital of Antwerp (Be)
- 2017 Department of Life Sciences, University of Trieste (Italy)
- 2017 ICANN 2017 - The 26th Intl. Cond. on Artificial Neural Net., Alghero (Italy), invited keynote
- 2017 FisMat 2017, Italian Natl. Conf. on the Physics of Matter, ICTP, Trieste (Italy)
- 2017 Workshop on “Theory in the HBP”, OCNS Intl. Comp Neurosci Conf., Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2017 VII Neuron Technology Summer School: from E-physiology to Imaging & Bionanotechnology, SISSA, Trieste (Italy)
- 2017 WiBrain Conference, ICM Institute for Brain and Spinal Cord, Paris (France)
- 2017 The Cognitive Neuromorphic Engineering Workshop, Capocaccia (Italy)
- 2017 Epilepsy Genetic Network Meeting, Edegem (Belgium)
- 2016 NeuroMath: Theoretical & Computational Neuroscience, Cortona (Italy)
- 2016 Interuniversity Initiative on Optogenetics, KULeuven, Leuven (Belgium)
- 2016 Laboratory of Computational Neuroscience, BMI, EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland)
- 2016 Opto- & other genetic approaches in systems neuroscience, Nijmegen (NL)
- 2016 University of Padua (Italy), Neurotechniques School
- 2015 2nd Belgian Neuroinformatics Congress, Leuven (B)
- 2015 In vitro Microelectrode Array Recording Techniques Symposium, SfN satellite, Chicago (US)
- 2015 Neurosurgery. Clinical research at the University Hospital Antwerp (B).
- 2015 37th Annual Conference of the IEEE Eng. in Medicine & Biology Soc., Milan (I)
- 2015 “Spike initiation: models and experiments” CNS2015 Workshop, Prague (CZ)
- 2015 B-Debate: “A Dialogue with the Cerebral Cortex: Function & Interfacing” (Spain)
- 2015 University of Padua (Italy), Neurotechniques School
- 2015 Donders Centre for Neuroscience, Nijmegen (The Netherlands)
- 2015 BENEFRI Neuroscience Workshop, Univ. Bern (Switzerland)
- 2015 NETT Winter School on Neural Engineering, Imperial College London (UK)
- 2015 University of Padua (Italy), Neurotechniques School
- 2014 BRAIN-FETs: Clustering Workshop on Future Emerging Neurotechnologies (Italy)
- 2014 Neuroinformatics 2014 Workshop, Leiden (The Netherlands)
- 2014 Laboratory of Computational Neuroscience, BMI, EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland)
- 2014 NERF Neurotechnology Symposium, Leuven (Belgium)
- 2013 Dept. Bioengineering, Imperial College London (UK)
- 2013 Congress of the Italian Society for Neuroscience (Italy)
- 2013 NAMASEN Marie Curie Training Network Workshop, University of Sheffield (UK)
- 2013 Russian Acad. Sci. - Inst. of Physics: Topical problems of Biophotonics (Russia)
- 2013 “Network Neurosciences: structure and dynamics” CNS2013 Workshop (France)
- 2013 NETT Marie Curie Training Network Workshop, University of Nottingham (UK)
- 2013 “Guru Lecture series” in Neuroscience, The University of Sheffield (UK)
- 2013 Department of Computer Science, The University of Sheffield (UK)
- 2013 Institute of Neuroinformatics Colloquium, ETHZ/University of Zürich (Switzerland)
- 2012 60 Years of the Hodgkin-Huxley Model, Trinity College, Cambridge UK, speaker
- 2012 European School of Neuroengineering “Massimo Grattarola”, Genova (I), faculty
- 2012 Belgian Physical Society Congress, Brussels (Belgium)
- 2012 VIB - KULeuven, Leuven (Belgium)
- 2011 Univ. Bruxelles, Leuven (Belgium)
- 2011 IMEC, invited speaker, Leuven (Belgium)
- 2011 Polish Neuroscience Society, Lodz, (Poland)
- 2011 Max Planck Institute for Biol. Cybernetics, Tübingen (Germany)
- 2011 CNRS-Laboratory of Neurophysics and Physiology in Paris (France)
- 2011 University of Sheffield (UK), Dept. Computer Science
- 2011 University of Padua (Italy), Neurotechniques School
- 2011 The Israeli Institute of Technology (Technion), Haifa (Israel)
- 2010 Session Opening Lecture, NanoMed 2010, Berlin (Germany)
- 2010 Keynote speaker, Intel European Res. & Innovation Conference, Dublin (Ireland)
- 2010 European Brain Research Institute, Rome (Italy)
- 2010 Anniversary lecture - 20 years IMO-IMOMEC , Univ. Hasselt (Belgium)
- 2010 University of Mons, Materia Nova, Mons (Belgium)
- 2009 7th fall course on Comp. Neurosci. ,Max-Planck-Institut, Göttingen (D)
- 2009 EuroNanoForum 2009, Prague (Czech Republic)
- 2009 School on Neuroelectronic Hybrid Systems, Inst. for Advanced Studies, HUJI (Israel)
- 2009 Univ. of Liege, Centre de Recherches du Cyclotron, Liege (Belgium)
- 2009 Univ. of Leuven, Dept. of Neuroscience, Leuven (Belgium)
- 2009 Johnson & Johnson (Janssen Pharmaceutica), CNS Discovery
- 2008 Department of Physics, University of Antwerp, Antwerp (Belgium)
- 2008 INCF National Node Workshop (Varenna, Italy)
- 2008 Workshop on Bioelectronics, IMEC, Leuven (Belgium)
- 2008 Computation in Cortical Circuits, Monte Verita’, Ascona (Switzerland)
- 2008 Italian Institute of Technology, Genoa (Italy)
- 2008 Max-Planck-Institut, Göttingen (Germany)
- 2008 “FlandersBio: Neuro Café”, Mechelen (Belgium), keynote
- 2008 Brain Research Institute, University of Zürich (Swizterland)
- 2008 Faculty of Medicine and Biology, University of Lausanne (Switzerland)
- 2007 Institute of Neuroinformatics Colloquium, ETHZ/University of Zürich (Switzerland)
- 2007 Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Heraklion (Crete)
- 2006 European Brain Research Institute, Rome (Italy)
- 2006 Okinawa Computational Neuroscience Course, Okinawa (Japan), invited tutor
- 2006 European School of Neuro-IT and Neuroengineering Genova (Italy)
- 2005 Congress of the Italian Society for Neurosciences Ischia (Italy)
- 2005 QinetiQ UK Workshop “Demo & analysis of learning neuronal networks”
- 2005 Complex Systems Unit, Dept. Tech. & Health, Italian Natl Inst Health, Rome (I)
- 2004 Laboratory of Computational Neuroscience, BMI, EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland)
- 2004 Neurobiology and Biophysics Group, Inst. für Biologie III, Albert-Ludwigs Univ., Freiburg (D)
- 2003 Neural Microcircuitry Laboratory, BMI, EPFL Lausanne (Switzerland)
- 2001 – 2002 NeuroEngineering Workshop & Advanced School, Univ. Genova (Italy)
- 2001 Symposium at the Congress of Italian Society for Neurosciences, Torino (Italy)
- 2000 Dept. Communication, Computer and System Sciences, Univ. of Genova (Italy)
- 2020 - 2023 EC-Flagship, SGA3 - Human Brain Project, P.I. ** 2020 - 2023 EC-H2020 FET-OPEN Grant, P.I. and coordinator
- 2018 - 2020 EC-Flagship, SGA2 - Human Brain Project, P.I.
- 2017 - 2019 Grant G.0F15.17.N, Research Foundation Flanders (FWO), P.I.
- 2016 - 2018 EC-Flagship, SGA1 - Human Brain Project, P.I.
- 2015 Congress Organisation grant, Research Foundation Flanders (FWO)
- 2015 Congress Organisation grant, Univ. Antwerp
- 2012 – 2017 Belgian Science Policy Office, P.I.
- 2013 – 2016 EC-FP7 ICT FET-OPEN Strep Grant, P.I. and coordinator
- 2013 Development Support Grant, Univ. Antwerp, co-P.I.
- 2012 PhD salary grant, Univ. Antwerp, P.I.
- 2012 – 2016 Grant G.0888.12.N, Research Foundation Flanders (FWO), P.I.
- 2012 – 2015 EC-FP7 ICT FET-OPEN Strep Grant, P.I.
- 2012 – 2015 EC-FP7 NMP Strep Grant, P.I.
- 2011 – 2015 EC-FP7 Marie Curie Initial Training Network, P.I. and coordinator
- 2011 – 2015 Grant G.0136.11N, Research Foundation Flanders (FWO), co-P.I.
- 2011 Development Support Grant, Univ. Antwerp, P.I.
- 2010 – 2013 EC FP-7 “Matera+” / IWT, PI
- 2010 – 2012 “e-GAP2” grant, UK Royal Society, co-P.I.
- 2010 Congress Organization grant, Univ. Antwerp, P.I.
- 2009 – 2013 New Research Initiatives grant (BOF/NOI), Univ. Antwerp, P.I.
- 2009 – 2011 Grant G.0836.09, Research Foundation Flanders (FWO)
- 2009 – 2010 Congress Organization grant, “Centro Stefano Franscini”, co-P.I.
- 2008 – 2011 Professorship Mandate, Foundation “Franqui Stichting”, P.I.
- 2008 – 2011 Competitive Start-up grant, Univ. Antwerp, P.I.
- 2008 – 2011 “Stoicescu research grant”, EPFL, co-P.I.
- 2006 – 2009 Grant “NEURONANO”, EC FP-6, co-P.I.
- 2005 – 2008 Research grant, Swiss National Science Foundation, co-P.I.
- 2001 – 2004 Long-term Fellowship award, Human Frontier Science Program, France, P.I.
- 2000 – 2001 Research grant for “Young Researchers”, Univ. of Genova, P.I.